4 Things we love about North Wales in the Autumn
Unlike some seaside resorts, Llandudno is still a popular destination to visit all year round so here are 4 things we love about the region in the Autumn:
1. The colour of Autumn
We love it when you step outside and the air is fresher and crisper and with that change comes the spectacular colours of Autumn as the leaves turn to red and gold. There’s hardly a place in North Wales where you won’t catch this stunning Autumnal display so immerse yourself in one of these countryside walks.
Snowdonia National Park is the largest park in Wales and spread over 823 square miles it offers scenic forests, mountains, streams and rivers with a very good network of footpaths and it’s only a 20 minute drive from The Imperial Hotel. Snowdon Walking Festival, which offers a weekend of walks suitable for everyone within the Park takes place on 3 and 4 November.
Closer to home is the Great Orme in Llandudno which is a nature reserve and Country Park. There are a number of scenic walks around the headland to the summit including sections that form part of the 800 mile long Wales Coastal Path. At the summit you’ll find a Summit Trail, Nature Trail and an Historic Trail but if you fancy some fun while you walk there’s an organised Great Orme Giant Walk with a choice of a 10 and 20 mile routes on 13 October. Or you can enjoy one of the local walks around town or the walk along the Promenade up to the summit of the Little Orme (download the guide).
If you’ve always wanted to venture up Snowdon, the largest mountain in Wales at 3,560 feet high, but haven’t been brave enough to do it on your own then why not join one of these walks:
- Snowdon Sunrise for Wales Air Ambulance, 2 September
Join the Wales Air Ambulance team to trek the summit of Snowdon in the moonlight and raise vital funds to help this charity save lives.
- Climb Snowdon – Open Walk, 23 September or 27 October
Join a guided walk on Snowdon with local and experienced mountain leaders who will also tell you more about its history and surroundings.
But if you’re after a walk with a difference, why not join the Red Squirrel Walk at Plas Cadnant Hidden Gardens on 12th or 26th September to find out about the garden’s most charming residents with a Red Squirrel Ranger.
2. Putting on a Show
Venue Cymru is a 5 minute walk from The Imperial and it’s the focalpoint for local, regional, national and international culture with shows from ballet to theatre and opera to concerts, and it’s all happening this Autumn. Here’s a taster of just some of the excellent performances:
- The Play That Goes Wrong – a highly physical comedy on 10 to 15 September
- Strictly for Adults – Dreamboys starring Jake Quickenden on 22 September
- Carmen – Russian State Opera performance on 28 September
- Awful Auntie – David Walliams’ amazing tale of frights, fights and friendship on 10-13 October
- Welsh National Opera – La Traviata on 17 and 19 October, La Cenerentola on 18 October and War and Peach on 20 October
- Calendar Girls The Musical on 23 to 27 October
- Caro Emerald – the gorgeous and stylish vocalist on 2 November
- The Nutcracker – the Russian State Ballet and Opera House on 6 November
- Giselle – another Russian State Ballet and Opera House performance on 7 November
Llandudno is also renowned for its spectacular Firework Display which this year will be held on Saturday 27 October – the display is from the beach and as the tide times aren’t favourable for the fireworks to be set off on the 5th November that’s why it’s a week early. So make sure you put this revised date in your diary and join us on The Terrace, one of the best places to view the display for firework treats including handmade beef burger, hot chocolate, sticky toffee pudding and mulled wine.
3. Comfort Food
There’s nothing like fresh, seasonal produce and not only can you savour the delights of Autumn in our House Menu in our Two AA Rosette Awarded Chantrey’s Restaurant, but you can discover more local produce as well as our artisan producers at one of these hugely popular Food and Drink events:
- Beaumaris Food Festival which is set between the historic Beaumaris castle and the beautiful Anglesey coast is on 1 and 2 September.
- Mold Food & Drink Festival is on 15-16 September bringing the very best exhibitors, cookery theatres, produce and leading names in the culinary world.
- Conwy Real Ale Trail on 29 September is a one day event that will take you to seven Real Ale pubs and two special microbreweries with transport and hospitality provided.
- Conwy Feast is the largest food festival in North Wales and it’s an unforgettable celebration of food, drink, art and music. It’s on 27 and 28 October so don’t miss it!
4. Be Christmas Ready!
There’s no need for the festive season to be stressful this year as we’ve a few ideas for you to be one step ahead and have it all wrapped up before December starts!
- Llandudno Christmas Fayre, 15 November.
This is the largest Christmas Fayre in Wales with more than 150 food, drink and craft stalls. Live entertainment and Santa’s Grotto.
- A festive new outfit.
Whether you’re after a new little Black Dress to see you through the party season or something glamorous so you’re the perfect hostess on Christmas Day, you’ll find clothes shopping a treat in North Wales. A short stroll from The Imperial Hotel you’ll find modern high street brands blending with traditional stores and speciality shops offering everything you need to tick off the gift list.
Or head into Conwy which is ranked fifth in the UK list of independent shopping centres or Betws-y-Coed, which is at the gateway to Snowdonia National Park so it has a range of outdoor gear shops as well as a superb choice of independent retailers including crafts, clothing, gifts, local homemade produce and art galleries.
And to help you look your best in your new outfit, why not head down to Mint Condition, The Imperial’s health and fitness centre for a body workout. One of the gym instructors will happily have a one-to-one session with you to devise a specific programme for your needs or you can enjoy a swim in the 45ft indoor pool which is great for all round body toning.
Whatever you decide to do in North Wales this Autumn, make the most of the season with The Imperial Hotel’s late Summer by the Sea or Autumn Escape breaks which are both a two night stay with a glass of Prosecco and chocolates on arrival and a three course dinner in the Award Winning Chantrey’s Restaurant both nights.